Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Papers please....

Yesterday I submitted my paperwork for retirement, so this is no longer a fantasy of mine, it's actually for real. I was surprised at the amount of emtion that I felt when I was talking with the Dean about this. I guess after 40 years there is real attachment. I sent an e mail to selected colleagues telling them about the retirement and I was quite blown away by the responses I received. Some people called and left voice messages, where they were actually crying. Some people thought I was joking and others took the time to write me and tell me how much they would miss me. I was surprised that I had that much influence on so many people, it was touching and also very sad for me. I am actually I got through the day, although I was near tears all day. This processing will go on, but I am fortunate to realize that this is a process. Sadly I know people that haven't a clue at all about themselves or even how they feel.

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

It was such a nice letter. I'm not surprised at the variety of responses. I'm sure you will be missed. After 40 years...I was probably still in plastic pants 40 years go. You know when they'll really miss you? About a month after you're gone and they're still trying to find three people to do the job you've been doing alone.