Friday, June 13, 2008

Sadness

I have a great friend overseas who manages to blog every day, I am beginning to have a new respect for that effort.  I'm still dealing with some mechanical problems but am trying  to resolve them  That's different for me, usually  I just throw my hands up and declare defeat...hmmm

I' hosting a guest from Texas today and taking her around a bit, she wants to go to the World Trade Center site, it's a pretty emotional spot for many people, I wonder how she will react.  I'll probably take her over to Century 21(a fabulous discount department store in NYC) for a little retail therapy afterwards.

Yesterday, I learned that it was hard for me to sit with sad feelings I'd rather do anything than that. Shopping, sex, sleep, food, drinking, work or cleaning a closet have always helped me run away from those feelings.  Someone asked me why was I afraid to sit with them, what did I think would happen.  Not sure, but I was always brought up to seek the sunshine and not dwell on unhappiness.  No one ever said it was ok to feel that stuff and that it wouldn't kill me.  I have to admit a certain bit of sadness with retirement and just growing older, when that dreaded sadness hits me again, I'm going to try to ride through it, hopefully without judgement.  I don't want to spend the next part of my life walking around with sadness.  I'm not even sure sadness is the right word.

I hope to spend  a few weeks in Amsterdam in the Fall(more on this later), but I have to admit being "alone" in another culture for an extended period of time will probably afford me a great deal of alone time.  I hope that I'll be able to handle this.  I do have friends there, but this may be a really challenging experience for me.  Perhaps it will be easier in another culture to drop that script I always carry around from childhood.  This is a script that I am trying to lose, and create a new one.  I continually marvel at my friend in Amsterdam, that he was able to change cultures and thrive.  I often wonder how he handles the alone time, how he deals with feeling sadness in a foreign place.  How does anyone deal with sadness?
  

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

How funny. That was totally along the lines of my post that day. We're totally connected. Looks good. Keep writing!!!